Wednesday, February 6, 2013

THE CHEMO FINALLY BEGAN!!!!

TODAY WAS THE FIRST DAY OF CHEMO-2-6-13!!!

So today I had  my first chemo session. It was supposed to start last week, but didn't because I had weak anemic blood and had to have a blood transfusion first. So thankfully after a week of grubbing on protein relaxing and taking it easy my blood was up to par for the first session today. I'm excited because the sooner we get it started the sooner we finish it! It was a five hour long process!!!!! I was in the hospital all day today. Got that at 9: 00 for my lab work--they take your blood. They've added some additional prescriptions to keep my blood up to par. So I'll be getting b12 and taking folic acid and zinc to keep that going good. So after the lab work, I met with my doctor and we discussed everything and how much better I'm doing. The one doctor didn't actually realize who I was from when he first met in the hospital. He was the very first one and then he came back and was like oh my gosh, you're doing so much better and we haven't even started your Chemo yet. He didn't realize who I was at first until he started looking at his notes. He was like this is very positive news to see that you're doing so well and we haven't even started your main treatments yet. So that was really good to hear. Then we went up stairs for the actual chemo. Now that is one long ordeal.!

5 HOURS Y'ALL!

Literally. They started me out with some premedicines--benadryl, histamines, flushes, nauses meds, steroids and a flush. That was about an hour, then they did the first chemo drug which was about an hour as well.
I was so sleepy. I just passed out my Mom said. I felt bad cause she was just setting there. I brought the laptop and some art supplies and we bring books and snacks too, and of course there's a tv, but talk about being bored. Then they did the other chemo drug which was another 3 hours. So I did a lot of sleeping during that time period.


AWESOME NURSES!!!

But I did meet with two very helpful nurses as well and got some awesome news!
I meet the nutritionist and she gave me a breakdown of exactly how I should be eating for the chemo. Half my plate should be protein, some fruits and veggies and a lil bit of starch. It's really helpful the way she had it broken down for me and I'm going to do my best to stick to that.

Then the other lady told me that WV has a special medicaid program for women with breast cancer, so that if my insurance is no longer valid they will continue to provide all my treatment for free and she can get the paperwork for me to get it all set up at anytime that I may need it and she also told me about 2 support groups that I can join. One of them is for women and gives free make up lessons for dealing with stuff once you have been dealing with some of the chemo side effect. The other one is open to everyone and they have a lil dinner and they have speakers come that talk about subjects we ask for. So it's not cancer type specific or gender based and you can bring your family too.

So I got two awesome blessings right there!
Thank God! Give him all the glory!

Cancer Cutie Outfit of the Day 2-6-13


 Today was a colorful outfit day! I had on my usual layers, but it wasn't nearly as cold today. We were actually in the 30's today.I had on a white tank, a mid length white shirt and then I have this mini dress with the cowl neck line in this purply pink magenta color that I have all through out my closet. Unfortunately, I don't have any beanies in brown or the purply pink magenta color. I have hair flowers, but that didn't seem appropriate with all the snow on the trees outside and I donned the teal beanie which was  a nice accent. I wore brown accessories and added a colorful little scarf around my waist to accent the colors. I also have a bag that matches the colors exactly, but I didn't get a pic of that. Make up was light and pink to accent the
pinky color.


Why I decided not to wear the flowers in my hair today...










How I'm feeling after this treatment...

I'm feeling fine! I slept through most of the treatment and I just took my first pain pill of the day and I feel good. No nausea--in fact I was super hungry and my awesome Grandmother had pizza and a salad ready for us when we got here. I didn't have much but snacks all day, so it felt great to eat. I will probably crash early because I have to go back tomorrow for some injection that helps build up my white blood cell counts. I have to be there at 10. I wasn't really sure what to think, but they gave me a ton of materials to look over about any side effects and what they could be like and how to handle them. I'm good to go right now. 


I had everything all packed up so that I could really do some stuff. My laptop, I had my art journal and some markers and colored pencils, camera and some snacks. I didn't bother with any of it. I just slept. I sure that will change at some point, but it's kinda funny ya'll. 

I think I'm about to prop up my feet and relax. One day I'll show you another art journal page! Still gotta get settled into a routine and that will be easier. 


Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 


 

Cancer Cutie

Tina Bina


No comments:

Post a Comment